Throwing it back to my childhood with these gluten free butterfly cakes!! My recipe uses an all in one method so super easy to make, and they are so light and fluffy you don’t feel guilty having more than one of them!!
- 185g gluten free self raising flour (I like to use Freee by Doves Farm)
- 175g unsalted butter
- 165g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 3 eggs
Butter cream ingredients:-
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g mascarpone
• 12 teaspoons of your chosen jam
- Pre-heat your oven to 200.c and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Add the flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract and eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk together using an electric whisk until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes – you want to get it to a whipped cream type consistency.
- Divide the mixture between your 12 paper cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. A skewer inserted into one of the cakes should also come out clean once they are fully cooked.
- Remove from the tins, and cool in their cases on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make your mascarpone cream by mixing the icing sugar and mascarpone together. I like to do this in a food processor as it stops the icing sugar covering you and your kitchen! But you could also whisk or beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Once the cakes are cool, cut the tops off about half a cm in from the side, angling the knife slightly downwards so you remove a gem like shape from each cake. Cut this in half to make two semi-circles and set aside.
- Top each cake with a spoonful of the mascarpone cream and position the semi-circles like a pair of wings so they stick firmly to the cream.
- Top each cake with a teaspoon of your favourite jam and if you fancy dust with a little icing sugar.
- That’s it, they’re now ready to eat! Enjoy!