I recently posted this on my Instagram and I had a lot of people say they couldn’t wait for the recipe! Well the wait is over, it’s finally here! Other than the gluten free cheese sauce which would need to be followed to the letter, I would say you can mix and match the veggies depending on what you have or fancy. I myself have just made a courgette bake using the same recipe, but swapping the griddled aubergine for griddled courgettes . I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Veggie Bake Ingredients:-
- 1 Aubergine, sliced into rounds just under 1cm thick
- 2 Courgettes, grated
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 Onion, roughly chopped
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 4 garlic gloves, finely chopped or pressed through a garlic crusher
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs
- Tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:-
- 50g butter, melted
- 50g rice flour
- 300ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 50g strong flavoured cheese such as mature cheddar or parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 25g parmesan cheese, grated to sprinkle over the top
- Pre-heat the oven to 220.c
- In a griddle pan, dry fry the slices of aubergine for a couple of minutes each side until softened. You’ll need to do this in batches and set aside until needed.
- In a large frying pan, add the oil and lightly fry the onion, mushroom, garlic and herbs until softened. Add the grated courgette and carrot and cook for another 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and flaxseed or chia seed and cook for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside until needed.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the butter and add the rice flour stirring frequently to make a smooth paste leaving the bottom and sides of the pan clean. Gradually add the almond milk little by little (not worrying about any lumps, they’ll disappear eventually) stirring frequently until you have a white sauce. Stir in the nutmeg and cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Now you’re ready to assemble your bake! Add half of the veggie mixture to the bottom of a large oven proof dish, layer with half of the aubergine and dollop a few teaspoons of the white sauce over the top. Repeat the process with the remainder of the veggie mixture and aubergine, finishing off with the white sauce and sprinkling the remainder of cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until the top is crispy and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before taking to the table and letting everyone help themselves. Serves 6.