These little cups of deliciousness have been a big hit in my house – I made them 3 weeks ago and have had requests for them every weekend since! You can mix and match the toppings, I had some chocolate sprinkles for these ones, but subsequent times I have just grated chocolate over which is equally as nice. As Easter is coming up, some little chocolate eggs perched on top would also work well. I guarantee once you have made these, you won’t be able to stop! This recipe makes 12 cupcakes but they get gobbled up very quickly – one just isn’t enough as they taste that good.
- 40g cocao powder (I used choc chic because thats what I had, but any cocao or cocoa powder should work just as well)
- 6 tablespoons of boiling water
- 175g unsalted butter
- 165g golden caster sugar
- 140g all purpose self-raising gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 3 eggs
Chocolate butter cream ingredients:-
- 120g icing sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- 75g dark chocolate melted
- 50g mascarpone
- Chocolate sprinkles or a few extra squares of chocolate for grating on top to finish
- Pre-heat your oven to 200.c and line a muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Add the cacao power and water to a large mixing bowl and stir to a thick paste.
- Add the butter, sugar, flour, baking power and eggs to the bowl and whisk together using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Divide the mixture between your 12 paper cases and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes until well risen and springy to the touch. A skewer inserted into one of the cakes should also come out clean once they are fully cooked.
- Remove from the tins, and cool in their cases on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make your chocolate icing by mixing together the melted chocolate, butter, icing sugar and mascarpone in a food processor (this stops the icing sugar covering you and your kitchen but you could also whisk or beat with a wooden spoon) until well combined.
- Once the cakes are cool, spread the chocolate butter icing mixture over the 12 cupcakes and top with your chosen sprinkles. Enjoy!