This cake is neither fat free or refined sugar free, but sometimes you just need a slice of good ol’ fashion cake!!
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 250g butter (or dairy free spread if you want this to be dairy free)
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g all purpose gluten free self raising flour
Butter Cream Ingredients:-
- 120g butter (or dairy free spread if you want this to be dairy free)
- 150g icing sugar
- A drop of vanilla extract
- A couple of drops of almond milk
- 150g strawberry jam
- A little icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180.c and grease the bottom and sides of two 20cm/8″ sandwich tins. For added assurance also line the bottoms of the tins with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar together with a whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and continue to whisk. If the mixture starts to curdle just add a little of the flour.
- Sieve in your flour and continue to whisk until it’s all combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between your two tins and bake on the middle shelf of your oven for around 30-35 minutes until golden and springy to touch.
- Remove from the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Whilst you’re waiting for the cakes to cool, make your butter cream by whisking together the the icing sugar, softened butter, vanilla extract and a couple of drops of milk.
- Once your cakes are completely cool, spread the the top of one of them with the strawberry jam and the bottom of the second cake with the butter cream and sandwich them together.
- Dust the top of the cake with icing sugar and serve in 8-12 slices depending on how hungry you and your family are!! Enjoy